- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1.5 tbsps of plain flour
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of cracked pepper
- 1 tsp cold butter (optional)
- Add the onion, butter and oil to a heavy based fry pan over moderate heat. (If you’ve already cooked something in the pan (like sausages) add the ingredients straight in the pan with the existing pan juices.)
- Stir frequently until onion is lightly brown and softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in water, stock/broth, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper and simmer, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until gravy is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: To create a shine on the gravy you can put the teaspoon of cold butter in and whisk it into the gravy just before serving. The butter will add even more flavour and make the sauce glossy.