Total cooking time: 1.5 hours approx.
Corned beef is one of those dishes that goes in and out of vogue. Personally, I love it all the time; in large part thanks to my Mum Margaret’s foolproof cooking directions!
- 1kg Grass Fed Corned Beef
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or sweetener of your choice such as honey, rice malt syrup, etc)
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar or Malt Vinegar
- 1 peeled onion, chopped roughly
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- Place meat in deep saucepan.
- Add brown sugar, malt vinegar, onion and bay leaves (if using).
- Add enough cold water just to cover the meat, and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Slowly bring the liquid to the boil and reduce the heat until the liquid is just simmering.
- Simmer, covered, until the meat is well done. Allow approximately 40 minutes per 500g.
- When cooked, turn off the heat and keep the meat in its liquid until ready to serve. If serving cold, cool the meat in the liquid.
- 50g butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1.5 cups of milk
- 2tbps grated cheese (I use Parmesan)
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mix to a smooth paste. Add milk gradually and keep stirring. Allow sauce to boil and thicken, then add cheese and stir until it’s melted in to the sauce.
Serve over Corned Beef.