A certain little boy in our house is turning 5 shortly and we’re having a birthday party for him next weekend. I’m planning to make these sausage rolls for the adults to munch on while we (hopefully) watch the kids wear themselves out.
- 500g pork mince
- 3 chorizo sausage, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 slices stale sourdough, crusts removed and cut into large chunks
- rind of half a lemon
- a good handful of Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 4 sheets puff pastry, sliced in half
- egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Add the bread, chorizo, garlic, parsley, lemon rind, and chilli to a food processor and blitz till the ingredients are a crumb.
- Remove and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Now add the pork mince to the food processor and blitz (pulse mode) till almost a paste but still with a little texture. Add to the other ingredients and add the tomato sauce.
- Mix with your hands till all ingredients are mixed well.
Add the mince mix to the middle of the halved sheet of puff pastry and roll over the ends.
- Slice to desired size (see note below*) and place on baking paper.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes or until browned.
* Assuming you cut your sausage rolls in approximately 5cm pieces, you’ll get 40 sausage rolls from this recipe.