Serves: 6 – 8.
Total cooking time: 4.5 hours
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 kg Free Range Chicken Thighs
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs Moroccan seasoning
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Free Range Chicken Stock
- 1 cup tomato puree or Passata
- 3/4 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tbs honey
- 2 cup rice
- 2 cups Free Range Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley fresh chopped
- 3 tsp flaked almonds toasted
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, cook meat in batches until brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Add onion to pan and cook until it is soft, stir in garlic, Moroccan seasoning, cinnamon, stock, and tomato puree.
- Place chicken in slow cooker and then onion mixture on top.
- Cover and cook on high for 1.5 hours, then on low for 3 hours.
- One hour before the end of the cooking time (i.e. 3.5 hours), stir in dates and honey and continue to cook.
- 15 minutes before you’re ready to serve, add all of the rice ingredients to a saucepan, stir well, place a lid on the saucepan and bring to rapid boil. Once it’s boiled, remove from the heat and leave the lid on to allow the rest of the water to absorb and the rice to finish cooking.
- Serve rice and chicken in a flat bowl and top with the parsley and almonds.