- 1.5 kg American-style pork spare ribs
- 400 gm canned whole tomatoes
- 150 gm brown sugar
- 125 ml (½ cup) each barbecue and tomato sauce
- 125 ml your favourite bourbon
- 125 ml (½ cup) apple cider vinegar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) each Worcestershire and soy sauce
- For bourbon marinade, process tomato in a food processor to a coarse pulp. Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients, whisk to combine.
- Place ribs in a non-reactive container, pour over marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 150C. Transfer ribs and sauce to two baking dishes, spreading in a single layer, then roast, covered and basting occasionally, until tender (2 hours).
- Remove ribs from marinade and set aside.Transfer marinade to a saucepan, cook over medium heat until reduced to a glaze (10-20 minutes).
- Preheat a char-grill pan over medium-high heat and grill ribs, turning and basting with reserved marinade, until glazed, charred and sticky (15 minutes).
- Slice ribs and serve hot