This isn’t your typical eggs and snags breakfast – this is a special Father’s Day version. We’ll be making this for Benny on Monday morning – i.e. I won’t be making it before the markets at 3.30am on Sunday!
- 1 red onion
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 (dried) chorizo sausage
- 3 lamb sausages
- 1 tbs olive oil, plus extra, to drizzle
- 2 x 400g cans Italian chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices rustic-style bread
- 1/4 bunch coriander
- Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C. Thinly slice onion and capsicum. Thinly slice chorizo. Squeeze meat from lamb sausage casings into 2cm pieces.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, turning, for 3 minutes or until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Add lamb sausage pieces to pan and cook, turning, for 3 minutes or until browned. Using a slotted spoon, add to chorizo. Reserve pan.
- Add onion and capsicum to reserved pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 6 minutes or until soft. Return chorizo and sausages to pan with tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture among 4 x 18cm shallow, ovenproof dishes. Make a hollow in the centre of tomato mixture in each dish, then carefully crack an egg into each hollow. Bake for 10 minutes or until egg whites are just set and yolks are still runny.
- Toast bread in your toaster, drizzle with extra oil, then season.
- Tear leaves from coriander and scatter over baked sausages and eggs. Top each with a spoonful of yoghurt and serve with toast.\