Any kind of roast is easy and delicious but I think a whole duck roasted is something to get excited about. Here’s few tips to help you get the perfect roast duck.
- The night before, remove duck from packaging, pat dry skin and leave in fridge overnight for skin to dry out.
- To ensure even cooking, never stuff a duck but instead add you aromatics to cavity then tie the legs together and push the wings back.
- Place duck on a rack in roasting tray and place more aromatics around. Season duck with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 mins per kg until golden brown. Remove from oven and rest for 20 mins.
- Cut duck into portion using a sharp knife.
- Duck reheats well so you can cook ahead of time, joint it when cool and then reheat the portions skin side up in a hot oven or under a hot grill. Always serve sauce on the side, not on the crispy skin.
- Don’t waste the duck fat! Pour the liquid from the bottom of the pan into a jug and leave to cool. Scoop the fat off the top, store in the fridge and use to make the most amazing roast potatoes. Use the leftover juices to make a sauce for your duck.