This traditional beef stew recipe is very versatile. You can use any cut of slow cooking beef and can cook in your dutch oven or in your slow cooker. Whatever suits you cooking style best.
- Chuck Steak, Gravy Beef, Brisket
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Italian Herbs
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 100g tomato paste
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1-2 sticks of celery, diced
- 3-4 potatoes, chopped evenly
- 200g mushrooms, sliced (not too small)
- Beef Stock
- Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees.
- Season your chosen cut of beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large casserole dish that has a lid. Brown meat in batches and remove to a plate. Don’t overcrowd this dish.
- Add a little more oil and fry off garlic, onion and celery.
- Pour in red wine and deglaze pan.
- Add herbs and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute to take the tartness out of the tomatoes. Add in your beef stock and stir.
- Return your beef to the pot and add all remaining ingredients.
- Cook covered in oven for 3 to 6 hours. Chuck and diced beef can have a shorter cooking time but brisket will need longer.