Cottage Pie is perfect for a windy, Winter’s day. It takes a little time to bring it all together but the smiles around your family dinner table will be worth it. Comfort food at it’s best!
- 500g Grass Fed Beef Mince
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots or 1 large one, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 3 cloves, garlic, mince
- 1 1/2 cups peas
- 2 cups stock or water
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1tsp cracked pepper
- 1kg potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter for mash
- Milk for mash
- Fry the diced vegetables (onion, carrot, celery) over medium heat for 3 mins or until slightly softened.
- Add beef mince, garlic, tomato paste and spices, fry until meat has broken down.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons flour and cook for a further 1 min. Reserve some flour incase further thickening is required.
- Add stock or water and peas and stir until gravy thickens. Add more flour if required.
- When mince is brown and gravy thickened, add your meat & vegie mixture to the bottom of your baking pan, large pie dish or cast iron pan.
- Boil potatoes until soft, drain, mash with butter and milk and fold through cheese.
- Layer the potato on top of the mince and vegetable mix and use a fork to roughen the surface to aid browning.
- Bake at 180c until the top has browned a little.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 15 mins before serving for best result or just dig in.