There’s no denying that the very best chicken stock is home made. You can make it ahead of time and refrigerate until needed. In a sealed container, a stock will keep for 3 – 4 days in the fridge or up to 2 months in the freezer.
- 1kg raw chicken carcasses
- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 litres of cold water
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and soften the onion, celery and leek. Add the chicken, peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover with water and bring slowly to the boil. With a metal spoon, skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 – 3 hours.
- Strain the stock through a sieve over a large bowl. Discard the bones, herbs and vegetables.
- Leave the strained stock to cool before putting it in the fridge or freezer.
TIP: We freeze our stock in 2 cup portions and defrost as needed.