The cooler weather has started which means its time to bring out the slow cooker and get some beautiful nourishing meals underway. The slow cooker is such an easy way to get dinner on the table and this Beef Ragu is my kids favourite. If you don’t have a slow cooker you can always use a large pot that has a lid and pop it in the oven.
- 500g grass fed chuck steak or grass fed gravy beef
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large celery sticks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 500g pappardelle or penne pasta
- Heat a heavy based saucepan on high heat and add 1 tsp oil. Season beef with salt and pepper and then brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 tsp oil and add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute for 3-4 mins. Add to bottom of slow cooker.
- Stir in remaining ingredients including beef and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Remove beef to a plate and roughly shred with two forks.
- Use a stick blender to blend sauce then return beef to slow cook and gently mix through.
- Cook pasta according to instructions, divide amongst four bowls and top with beef ragu.
- Serve topped with parmesan.