With tender, fall off the bone meat, lamb shanks are hard to beat. And this recipe is by far my favourite way to enjoy lamb shanks… Yum!
(Serves 3 – 4.)
- 6 pasture fed lamb shanks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20g butter
- 2 tbsps plain flour
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 275g jar cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based, flameproof dish over high heat. Cook shanks, in two batches, for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Melt butter in dish until sizzling. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and slowly add stock, wine and cranberry sauce. Season with salt and pepper, return to heat and bring to the boil. Add lamb and rosemary.
- Cover dish, transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour. Remove lid and bake for a further 30
- minutes or until shanks are tender.
TIP: Serve with mashed potato and greens.