- 2 pork knuckles
- 2 tbsps caraway seeds
- 6 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- Boil pork shanks in a pot of water with caraway seeds, garlic, salt and pepper, covered for one hour. Use just enough water to submerge the shank in the pot you are using, and season water sufficiently so you don’t need to season the meat again after cooking. Keep this water for stock.
- After one hour, let shank cool down to room temperature.
- Cut skin horizontally, approximately 1/2 inch apart, and roast at 180 degrees for 90 minutes. Use some of the stock at the bottom of the pan.
- Raise temperature to 220 degrees and crisp skin approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve traditionally on a wooden platter, warm (not hot), with kraut salad, country bread, pickles, horseradish and mustard.