I’d say Fettucini Carbonara is one of those classic flavours but I love it as its so quick to make and a nice and cheap weekday family meal.
- 500g fettuccini pasta
- 250g pasture fed bacon, thinly sliced
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 120g spring onions (save a couple of sprigs for serving)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- 360ml coconut milk
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup, cornflour
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a frypan and add bacon and cook until crispy. Add mushrooms, spring onions and garlic and saute until onions are soft. Set aside.
- Mix 3/4 cup Parmesan with coconut milk in a jug.
- Drain pasta once cooked and return to saucepan. Add beaten egg and mix, then add coconut milk mixture and mix until all combined.
- Sprinkle cornflour over pasta and stir over low heat until it starts to thicken. Add in bacon mixture and spinach and stir gently.
- Serve with remaining Parmesan and spring onions sprinkled on top.
The kids are going to want you to serve this with some crispy garlic bread but I suggest adding a side of green beans. Even if they eat them with their fingers!