Recipe: Healthy Homemade Tomato Sauce
Whether it’s the taste of it, or just a placebo effect, some foods just *need* tomato sauce.
Makes: 1 Cup | Storage: 1 week in the fridge
- 1 can diced tomatoes (preferably with no added salt)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 soaked dried date or fig
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- Dash of black pepper, or garlic powder (optional)
- Drain the tomatoes as much as you can. Draining the excess liquid will help to keep your sauce nice and thick once it’s blended.
- Add all the ingredients to a small food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge (will keep for up to a week)
Tip: It’s always preferable to store foods in glass, but if you have fussy eaters who are conditioned to having their tomato sauce in a plastic bottle, I’d recommend purchasing a squeezie bottle and decanting your homemade sauce in to that (or an old bottle of store bought sauce). They will be none the wiser!