Our kids love any food they can eat with their hands so these Chicken Drumsticks get a big thumbs up!
- 1kg Free Range Chicken Drumsticks
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce (or Tamari for a gluten free option)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3-4cm piece of ginger, finely grated or minced (can be omitted or substituted for garlic if you prefer)
- Place chicken drumsticks in a large bowl
- Mix honey, soy sauce and ginger together
- Pour sauce over chicken and allow to marinate (in the fridge) for 1 hour if possible
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- Line a baking tray /dish with non stick paper and place drumsticks flat
- Pour over the sauce
- Bake chicken for 25 minutes, then pour off the sauce juices in to a glass jug, turn the drumsticks and and then pour over the sauce again
- Bake for a further 20-25 minutes or until the skin turns dark brown on top and the juices run clear
- Lining the baking tray will prevent the honey from burning and it makes for a much easier clean up!
- On hot days when I don’t want the heat of the oven inside, we do this recipe in the BBQ. Use the same method but elevate the baking tray on a second, upturned baking tray, so that the tray isn’t sitting directly on the BBQ hotplate (they will burn otherwise) and close the lid of the BBQ.