You’re not imagining it. Pulled Pork is on cafe menus everywhere at the moment. If you love it and want to make it at home, or haven’t tried it and would like to – here’s a combined recipe from all the talented cooks at Recipe Swap Sydney
For the Pork
For the ‘Slaw
- 1 pork neck fillet
- 1 litre apple cider or ginger beer
- 2 green apples, grated (optional)
- Cajun spice, oregano, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce (all optional – I typically add 1 tsp each of Dijon and Worcestershire)
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
It’s up to you what you include, but a typical coleslaw would feature:
- 1/2 Cabbage – red or green (or combination of both)
- 2 Carrots – grated
- 1 Red onion – finely sliced
- 1 Capsicum – finely sliced
- 1 Apple (optional) – grated
(If you have a Thermomix or similar, roughly chop ingredients and then blitz on Speed 5 for 3 seconds. Scrape down sides of the bowl and repeat.)
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsps mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Squeeze of lemon juice
And don’t forget the burger rolls!
Are you a fan of pulled pork? Got any tips or recipes to share with us?
- Pre-heat slowcooker to medium (you should always do this, just the same as you do with your oven)
- Add pork fillet to slow cooker with apple cider or ginger beer. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or 2 hours on high to start, and then 2 hours on low. (If you prefer more flavour you can also add any or all of the following: Cajun spice, oregano, stock, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.)
- If your using the grated apples, add them to the slow cooker as well.
- To make your coleslaw toss all ingredients together, whisk dressing, pour over other ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Remove the pork from the cooking liquid and pull it apart using two forks, pulling in opposite directions. (TIP: If it doesn’t fork apart, it’s not cooked enough.) If you used them, scoop the grated apple out as well and mix it through the pork.
- Add the BBQ sauce to the pulled pork and combine – don’t use too much sauce, just enough so the pork is moist.
- Pile some pork on each burger roll and top with coleslaw.