Marinating meat in liquids that contain enzymes or acids help break down the lean muscle fibres and give more flavour. We are using citrus fruits in this recipe but you can also try vinegar, tomato, kiwi fruit or pineapple juices.
- 600g grass fed skirt steak
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 crushed chilli flakes
- Combine all ingredients to form the marinade and add to a shallow dish. Add skirt steak and coat in marinade and allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat pan or BBQ on high. Remove steak, discarding excess marinade and grill for 2-4 minutes on each side until cooked to your liking but best if cooked medium-rare.
- Remove steak and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve on a salad with roasted vegetables.