Marinating meat in liquids that contain enzymes or acids help break down the lean muscle fibres and give more flavour. We are using citrus fruits in this recipe to marinate our skirt steak but you can also try vinegar, tomato, kiwi fruit or pineapple juices.
- 1kg grass fed skirt steak
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 crushed chilli flakes
- Combine all ingredients to form the marinade and add to a shallow dish. Add skirt steak and coat in marinade and allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat pan or BBQ on high. Remove steak, discarding excess marinade and grill for 2-4 minutes on each side until cooked to your liking but best if cooked medium-rare.
- Remove steak and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve on a salad with roasted vegetables.
Skirt steak is such a versatile cut that you can slice thinly and cook like we have here, it works well in a stir fry or you can also slow cook the whole piece for some Mexican shredded beef.