If you need a different idea for using your ham on Christmas day then you might like to try this beautiful salad. It would also be a great option for using up the leftover ham in the week after Christmas. With all the food we tend to eat around Christmas time, this is a nice light, salad that uses up your leftover ham. The addition of the tropical fruits screams Summer to me so surely that means you can sit out on the deck and enjoy a lazy Sunday afternoon.
- 500g Free Range Ham
- 1 red or orange capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- any fancy, curly lettuce, torn into chunks
- 2-3 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, toasted
- Cut thick slices of ham off the bone and then dice into bite size pieces.
- Prepare salad ingredients and then start layering into bowl starting with the lettuce and topping with the shallots and macadamia nuts.
- Serve with a spicy mayo, aioli or toum (garlic dip).
I also think you could use mango in this salad instead of the pineapple. Just think about the colours of your capsicums in relation to the fruit your choose so its still looks nice and colourful.