These tips come courtesy of Julie Goodwin. I met Julie last year when I was invited to participate in the filming of the Women’s Weekly Christmas Special. It was great day of cooking and laughing and I learnt so much.
NB: Your turkey needs to be brined overnight; so you need to start this process the night before you intend to cook it.
- Mix 2 cups of salt with 4 cups of sugar in a tub/container of water (about 8 litres) large enough to submerge the whole turkey (a small esky is a good option)
- Stir to make sure the salt and sugar dissolve
- Place the turkey in the tub/esky making sure it’s completely covered with water
- Add large blocks of ice to the tub/esky to act as ice cubes (water frozen in ice cream containers or takeaway containers works well)
- Add more ice cubes to the tub/esky as required – this effectively keeps the turkey refrigerated
- Remove the turkey from the water at least an hour before cooking
- Pat the turkey inside and out and allow it to come to room temperature
For cooking your turkey, see our Guide to the Perfect Roast Turkey.