Capsicums filled with a savoury mince mixture are a colourful and delicious family dinner option. This is a great way to jazz up what might be called a boring vegetable.
- 500g grass fed beef mince
- 5 medium red capsicums
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 celery stick diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 15 green beens diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Olive Oil
- Fry the diced vegetables with a little oil until onion is translucent.
- Add mince, spices and garlic, breakdown mince as it fries then transfer to a bowl. No need to cook the mince all the way through as it will continue cooking in the next steps.
- Toast rice in the frying pan with a little oil for 5-7 minutes.
- Return veg and mince to pan, add stock, mix , cover and cook on low heat until rice is cooked.
- Cut the tops off the capsicums or half lengthways and arrange in baking tray so the stay upright for baking.
- Fill with the rice and beef mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake at 180c for 20-30 or until capsicum is cooked. Turn the oven up high at the end to brown cheese if desired.
- Serve with fresh tabouli or green salad and a wedge of lemon.
- *If your children aren’t keen on capsicum you can use zucchini, potatoes (bake first), cabbage leaves or even tomatoes or the recipe makes a great savoury rice dish by itself.