Cauliflower mash is the perfect low carb accompaniment to serve alongside slow cooked foods instead of mashed potato. You don’t want to overcook the cauliflower so make sure you chop it fine before you start and don’t use too much liquid. It just needs to steam until tender with most of the liquid evaporating.
- 1 large head of cauliflower (approx 800g), finely chopped
- 1 onion or leek, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g liquid – either chicken or vegetable stock or coconut cream
- salt and pepper to season
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot with a lid.
- Add the cauliflower and chosen liquid.
- Place lid onto your pot and simmer on low heat for 5-10 mins until cauliflower is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and then mash or for a really creamy texture use a stick blender so its smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.