This is a great dish to serve in the middle of the table and have everyone help themselves. Lots of nutrients added by the chicken livers and it gives a creamy texture when eating but your family won’t even notice.
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or tallow
- 500g Free Range Pasture Fed Pork Mince
- 250g Organic Chicken Livers, diced into small pieces
- 4-6 slices of Free Range Bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4-6 celery stalks, diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 4 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- The night before prepare your chicken livers and rice. Place chicken livers in a small bowl, cover with filtered water and add 2 tbsp ACV and place in fridge. Add the 2 cups of rice to a large bowl, cover with 4 cups of filtered water and add 2 tbsp ACV, cover and leave on bench at room temperature. You can skip this step if you want but soaking your rice will make it easier to digest plus makes a difference to the texture and taste.
- On the day of cooking, drain water from rice, rinse and cook according to directions with approximately 2 cups of chicken stock.
- Drain liquid from chicken livers and set aside.
- Heat your choice of oil in a large pan over medium heat and saute the bacon. Add onions and saute for 2 mins then add the capsicum and celery. Continue to saute until onions become soft.
- Add chicken livers and pork mince and stir until both are browned.
- Add in your Cajun seasoning and mix well. Stir in rice and let the flavours infuse the dish.
- Garnish with shallots and serve.