A little bit of effort in preparation with this roast chicken but once it’s in the oven it’s all done. All you need to do is wait and then enjoy your roast dinner.
- 1 Whole Free Range Chicken
- 3 oranges
- 100g butter
- Bunch of tarragon
- 5 tbsp of honey
- 300ml red wine
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Zest the oranges and juice two of them (make sure to zest before juicing). In a small bowl, combine the zest, 50g of softened butter and a handful of tarragon leaves. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with this mixture.
- Season the chicken and rub a little butter in to the skin. Transfer to a roasting pan.
- Combine the orange juice and honey and pour over the chicken. Pour the red wine in to the roasting pan (not on the chicken) along with 50g diced cold butter and some sprigs of tarragon.
- Roast for 20 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 160 degrees and cook until the chicken juices run clear (roughly 45 minutes depending on your oven and size of chicken).
Don’t forget to pop some vegies in the oven as they can all roast together with the chicken. I love zucchini, pumpkin and cauliflower and I’m sure the family will request some roast potatoes.