Pork ribs are the perfect family meal. Sitting around the dinner table, eating with your hands and enjoying a tasty meal is a great start to the week.
- 1.5 kg American-style pork spare ribs
- 400 gm canned whole tomatoes
- 150 gm brown sugar
- 125 ml (½ cup) each barbecue and tomato sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) each Worcestershire and soy sauce
- 125 ml your favourite bourbon
- 125 ml (½ cup) apple cider vinegar
- For bourbon marinade, process tomatoes in a food processor to a coarse pulp. Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients, whisk to combine.
- Place ribs in a non-reactive container, pour over marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Transfer ribs to two baking dishes, spreading in a single layer. Reserve approximately a 1/4 cup of marinade and pour rest over ribs. Cover and then roast, basting with pan juices occasionally, until tender (about 2 hours).
- Remove cover and thoroughly baste ribs with reserved marinade. Continue cooking uncovered until ribs are glazed and sticky (about 15 mins but watch this last step closely so they don’t burn)
- You could also complete this last step on a char-grill BBQ or pan over medium-high heat, basting and grilling ribs until glazed, charred and sticky.
- Slice ribs and serve hot