There is nothing better than homemade Butter Chicken. My tip with this is to double up when making the spice mix and keep a jar handy in the cupboard for next time. I’ve been know to rub that spice mix on a whole chicken as well for something different (but yummy).
- 1kg Free Range Chicken Breast or Thighs
- 1 batch Homemade Butter Chicken Spice Mix
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 400g can coconut cream
- 3 tbps fresh lemon juice
- 200g tomato paste
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1/2 cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 200g green beans, halved
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- Using a large heavy based saucepan, heat coconut oil on medium and fry onion and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add chicken and fry until it starts to change colour. Move chicken to side of pot and add in spice mix. Fry for 1-2 minutes to release flavours.
- Add coconut cream, tomato paste, lemon juice and salt and stir thoroughly. Cover and bring to boil then reduce heat to low.
- Add vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Serve with rice and roti bread.
You don’t traditionally have vegetables in your butter chicken but this is such a family favourite the kids will eat the vegies without complaint.