- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced).
- Remove skin from ham and score fat in a diamond shape (keep skin; see tip below).
- Place the remaining ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, stirring to combine and dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat, pour the glaze over the ham making sure that all the exposed fat is covered.
- Press a single star anise into the centre of every 2nd or 3rd diamond shape.
- Spread glaze over ham.
- Bake for 1 to 2 hours, basting the ham every 20 minutes.
Cover the ham after carving with the reserved rind, then wrap with a moist tea towel or ham bag. Do not use plastic wrap to cover the ham.