We spent New Year’s Eve with a group of great friends and after sorting out sausage sandwiches for the kids, we treated ourselves to a delicious meal of Surf ‘n’ Turf. There’s nothing complicated about grilling some quality steak and popping a couple of prawns on top… BUT it does need a perfect Bearnaise Sauce to finish it off. (Serves 4)
(I like to do steps 1 to 3 early in the day and set the reduction aside)
- Combine wine, vinegar, shallots, tarragon and peppercorns in a small saucepan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid reduces to 2 tablespoons.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl. Discard shallot mixture.
- Place the bowl containing the reduction over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water).
- Add egg yolks and whisk with a balloon whisk for 2 minutes or until pale and frothy.
- Add butter, a few pieces at a time, whisking constantly after each addition, until the sauce is thick and velvety.
- Remove from heat. Stir in fresh tarragon. Season with salt and white pepper.
* Tarragon isn’t always easy to get (I had to visit 3 grocers) so don’t leave your shopping until the last minute.