- 150g pasture fed bacon
- 1 packet Pork Gourmet Sausages
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp dry white wine (Riesling)
- 1 large sweet apple (Gala or Fuji) peeled, cored and cut into chunky pieces
- 12 juniper berries or caraway seeds or rosemary sprigs
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups sauerkraut
- Wholegrain mustard (for serving)
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan and fry bacon until crisp. Remove to plate.
- Turn heat to medium-low, add onion and partially cover pot with lid and simmer for about 20 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add wine, apple, juniper berries, bay leaves, sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and boil for 3 minutes. Add the water and sauerkraut and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes until apple is tender.
- Cook the sausages.
- Spoon sauerkraut onto plate, arrange sausages on top, sprinkle with bacon and serve with mustard.