Serves: 4 Adults
This has got to be one of the best recipes I’ve ever cooked. The long cooking time was so worth it! The preparation time is minimal and the oven does most of the work. Cheers, Alison
- 1kg Pasture Fed Pork Belly
- 8 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves picked
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate molasses
- Pinch of salt
- Olive oil
- 400ml water
- Remove the Pork Belly from the packaging and dry the skin with paper towel.
- Add the garlic, thyme, star anise, cinnamon, rosemary, pomegranate molasses and salt to a small blender or food processor and process until smooth. Store the marinade in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees and line a baking dish with baking paper.
- Rub the flesh side of the Pork Belly with the marinade and place in the baking dish skin side up.
- Drizzle the skin with olive oil and rub in a generous amount of salt.
- Pour the water around the pork and place the dish in the oven.
- Cook for 10 hours and periodically top up the water if it’s all evaporated.
- Remove the Pork Belly to another baking tray lined with baking paper and return to the oven (see note below about what to do with the cooking juices).
- Increase the heat to 250 degrees, and once your oven has reached 250 degrees, cook the pork for 15 – 20 minutes until the crackling is perfectly crunchy (keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn).
- Place the pork belly on your chopping board skin side down and cut into 4-5cm pieces.
TIP: For a beautiful sauce to go with the Pork Belly, pour off the fat and juices from the original roasting pan, allow to cool (while the crackling is cooking) and ladle off as much of the fat as possible. In a separate cup or jug, mix 1tsp of corn flour with hot water to make a paste. Add to the roasting juices, season with salt, pepper and your choice of sweetener (brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, rice malt syrup). Place sauce in a small saucepan to warm through again and ensure paste and sweetener are dissolved. Enjoy!